Dear girls and boys,
Welcome to English 4 Workbook.
Through the exercises in this book you will be able to control your knowledge in English and master the language. You will understand how important independent work is, as it will help you in your life and future studies.
You will find the keys to the exercises at the end of the book. They will help you to give yourselves a correct mark.
You should colour ), your parents — __ , and your teacher
will colour Use red for «5» (excellent), green for «4»
(good), and blue for «3» (satisfactory). We hope that in all the three cases your marks will be the same. We wish you every success.
Complete the statements and questions. Use am, is, are.
Example: This letter long? Is this letter long?
1) My shoes very clean._
2) Your parents at home? _
3) What colour his bag? _
4) Who your favourite teacher?_
5) What your favourite books?_
6) I hungry._
7) Autumn and winter cold seasons. _
Look at the pictures (page 5) and write whose pets they are and what colour they are.
Example: The girl’s chickens are yellow.
3 Write what the people and animals have got/haven’t got.
Example: I’ve got a doll but I … a ball.
I’ve got a doll but I haven’t got a ball.
1) Nick likes to read. He … many books.
2) … you … any butter on the table?
3) These dogs … many puppies.
4) I … any bread. Let’s go shopping.
5) She … milk. She can’t drink white coffee.
6) «What’s wrong?» «I … something in my eye.»
7) Pussy is a big black cat. It … many funny kittens.
Write the plural (множественное число) of the following nouns.
Shoe, party, birthday, tortoise, eye, shop, family, house, mouse, wolf, box, child, wife, hare, foot, leaf, potato, glass, tooth, exercise, puppy, sheep.
Write what there is/there isn’t (there are/there aren’t) in different places or ask questions.
Example: … any chairs in the room? Yes, …
Are there any chairs in the room? Yes, there are.
1) … seven days in a week.
2) … four or five seasons in a year?
3) How many months … in a year?
4) … a nice bird in a tree.
5) … any flowers in winter.
6) … any water in the glass.
Complete the sentences using some or any.
Example: My sister hasn’t got … potatoes, but she has … carrots.
My sister hasn’t got any potatoes, but she has some carrots.
1) There is … juice in the cup__
2) Is there … money in your pocket?_
3) There aren’t … old trees in the park.
4) We haven’t got … small pets._
5) There is … meat in the shop__
6) Has she got … tights? _
Refer the sentences to the two columns:
Example: There isn’t much Example: There are many milk on the table. sandwiches on the plates.
1) There are … bright flowers here.
2) There isn’t … soup for dinner.
3) There aren’t … vegetables in the shop.
4) Are there … good books at school?
5) Is there … hot porridge?
6) There is … ice cream for you.
7) There are … people in the street.
Look at Robert Pullin and read the list of words. Then write what he likes (wears, buys) and what he dislikes (doesn’t wear, doesn’t buy).
Example: Robert Pullin wears jeans but he doesn91 wear trousers.
wears jeans, jackets, sweaters, shirts
never wears trousers, gloves, trainers, coats
buys apples, ice cream, milk, jam
never buys carrots, potatoes, sweets, salt
likes fish, fruit, juice, eggs
dislikes coffee, cold porridge, soup, butter
Write what people always, usually, often, sometimes do/don’t do.
Example: Do you go to school on Sunday (sometimes)?
Do you sometimes go to school on Sunday?
1) When does Helen get up (usually)?
2) Does he come home late (often)?
3) He doesn’t go to the cinema (often).
4) We don’t wear shorts in autumn (usually).
5) I speak Russian at school (always).
6) She has fish for lunch (sometimes).
What do Nick and the members of his family usually do or what are they doing at the moment?
Example: Nick’s parents usually (to watch TV) in the evening.
Nick’s parents usually watch TV in the evening.
1) Look, Nick’s sister (to go) for a walk.
2) She never (to go) for a walk in the evening.
3) Nick’s cousins (to drink) apple juice now.
4) Nick (to play football) every day.
5) Nick’s brother usually (to look after) their pets.
6) «Where is Dad?» «Oh, he (to swim) in the swimming pool.
What did the people do yesterday (last week, 3 days ago…)?
Example: She buys bread.
She bought bread yesterday.
1) He has coffee for breakfast.
2) My cousin is late for school.
3) They don’t come to school at 11 in the morning.
4) The lessons begin at 8.30.
5) My mother usually brings interesting books to read.
6) He wears warm clothes in winter.
Compare people, animals and objects.
Example: Sue’s desk isn’t very big. Ann’s desk is … .
Sue’s desk isn’t very big. Ann’s desk is bigger.
1) Nelly’s brother is clever but his sister is … .
2) A tortoise is slow It is … than a dog.
3) My dolls are not very nice. Your dolls are … .
4) The potatoes are not very good. Buy some … potatoes.
5) That woman isn’t very beautiful. My sister is … .
6) The big brown monkey is not very funny. The small grey
monkey is … .
7) Pete is a very bad pupil, but Hans is even (даже) … .
Read the story and write what Mr Brown can do and what he can’t.
Example: Mr Brown can catch fish.
Mr Brown can’t grow flowers.
Mr Brown is a forester. He lives in the forest near a big lake. He is very good at catching fish and grows many
vegetables in his garden. But he doesn’t know much about flowers and never grows them. He has got a lot of animals and knows how to talk with them. I think birds and animals understand him and he understands them, too.
In winter when he is not very busy he often tells us stories about the forest’s wonders and we like to listen to them. Mr Brown likes to watch TV programmes but he is a bad sportsman and never plays games. Mr Brown has got a computer at home but he never works on it as he doesn’t know how to do it.
Fill in the proper forms of the verbs.
1) It often (snows, is snowing) in winter here.
2) It never (snows, snowed) in Africa.
3) «What’s the weather like?» «It (is raining, rains).»
4) It (rains, rained) all day yesterday.
5) It didn’t (rain, rained) last month.
6) It is cold but it (isn’t snowing, doesn’t snow).
Translate into English.
1) Вчера шел дождь.
2) В ноябре часто идет снег.
3) Идет дождь, но на улице не холодно.
4) Снег идет сейчас?
5) Оставайтесь дома. Идет дождь.
6) Мы любим смотреть телевизор, когда идет дождь.
7) Здесь редко идет дождь.
8) Вчера шел снег?
SCHOOL LIFE^ ___
f. 1 j Look at the timetable and say when Nelly has got P.E., Arts, Music and Handicraft.
Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday
English P.E. Drawing Arts Music
Russian Arts Maths Russian Maths Day off
Maths Russian English Russian Handicraft
Maths Maths Russian Maths English
2 Look at the table (page 14) and write 14 sentences about Peter’s daily sports life in winter and in summer.
Example: In winter Peter plays tennis at 3 o’clock on Monday.
In summer Peter plays football at 11 o’clock on Monday.